dressed for the h bomb

some punk, some not. don't want your stuff on here? all you have to do is ask.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Landlords


Featuring Mr. Horribly Charred Infant and Mr. Anus (although apparently that's Dr. Anus now) from the more prolific Happy Flowers, The Landlords released only one LP during their existence as well as a 7" of covers. Their album, Hey! Its A Teenage House Party, may be one of the best punk records that no one seems to remember. Not too many artists can release a record that is consistently great over the course of 21 songs, but this Charlottesville, Virginia band pulls it off. The music is fast and rough while still remaining catchy, and the lyrics are wildly un-PC which just nudges this release up an extra notch in my book. Further information can be found here, which is where I snagged the flyer scan from. Sorry for the lack of a cover but I no longer own this record- maybe someone can hook me up with a picture for ya. From memory I can tell you that I believe it was a tan cover with some sort of childish looking picture scribbled in crayon on it. Of what I can't recall. Here's a taste of 1984's Hey! Its A Teenage House Party. Yes a taste, because there's no way I'm going to type out/upload 21 songs-
Every Day's A Holiday
No Good Woman
Let's Be Negative
More Guts Tonight
Amputee

9 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger gorehound13 said...

thanks

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous John Beers (vocals and occasional guitar) said...

Thanks for the kind words! It's nice to be remembered.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger E. said...

Why did you delete my posting?

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger malfeitor said...

The only comment I've ever deleted was when someone threatened to beat someone up over a Skrewdriver post. Your comment must not have gone through since I didn't receive it in my email either. Believe me, I'm happy to have any and all comments- please resubmit.

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous John Beers said...

I should mention that the un-PC lyrics were all *very* sarcastic. "No Good Woman" especially. It was inspired by a gang rape that took place in a pool hall in the early 80's. The locals claimed that the trial of the men who raped the woman was an attack on the Puerto Rican community (wtf?) and that the woman got what she deserved, and obviously wanted, when she had the nerve to go to a place frequented by men.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger malfeitor said...

I figured anyone in their right mind would know that the lyrics weren't meant to be taken literally. Then again, the whining about the PRE-RACIST Skrewdriver 7" I put up leads me to believe people can be way too touchy. I love getting to hear background information about the tunes posted here, thanks john.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger E. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger E. said...

Looks like I maybe pushed the wrong button or something.

It wasn't much I submited and now that John Beers is here, it's even less. Just wanted say that my copy has a b&w cover (not tan) and I remember a tape with collected compilation tracks (and live?) floating around in the mid 80s.
I ordered my copy from the band after the review in MRR and loved the album. Having listened to it again after many years now, I was surprised that it didn't so much sound like the DESCENDENTS as I had in mind. It's a great LP though, much in the same vein of greatness as the lps by LOVE CANAL, SUBURBAN MUTILATION or SEWER ZOMBIES (even though they sound completely different from any band, honestly - it's maybe the historical context and subjective memories that got engraved at about the same time, when the records mentioned got released).

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! video editing programs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home