dressed for the h bomb

some punk, some not. don't want your stuff on here? all you have to do is ask.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Checkered Future Flexi


Normally I wouldn't do a post of the same band twice, but for Reflex From Pain's Checkered Future Flexi I am going to make an exception for 3 reasons:
1. When a band has a singer different than one you're used to hearing (on this 1983 demo it's one of my all time favorite HC screamers Ray Cappo) it seems like a different band. For me the vocal is what gives a band most of its personality, especially when it's hardcore. This is probably why I feel a band isn't a band without H.R., Jello, etc.
2. It's a flexi. No one wants to get some crappy flexi out and put it on a turntable. You have to handle it like a used Kleenex so you don't mess it up. Even if you own this record you should have it in mp3 format.
3. CTHC rips.
The liner notes to this 7" state that the RFP on this recording is essentially the first lineup of Shelter (+ Tom Capone), and that it provides the missing link for the Reflex From Pain/Violent Children/76 % Uncertain/Shelter family. In fact you may recognize some of the songs as performed by these other bands. An interesting link demonstrating the inbreeding of these bands can be viewed here. It's odd to me that this was never pressed on regular vinyl since it rocks from beginning to end-
You're The Hate
Complacency
Bury My Pride
Blind Faith
B. S. Straight Edge
Knife In My Back
Rolling Rink Stud
Peer Pressure
Someone's Waiting
The Scream

7 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'd be interesting to read the lyrics to BS straight edge considering the future of the band members. any clue?

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger malfeitor said...

No lyrics came with the flexi and I'm pretty sure this is one of the songs not recorded by their sister bands, guess you'll have to get out the headphones and decipher Ray's screaming. Good Luck!

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous scott said...

Killer post, this is some essential CTHC. I was waiting for this post, after the previous RFP one! Great to have this stuff, I never had a copy of the flexi.

I think "BS SE" was about someone who claims to be SE but is really not. Like a "you're not true" kind of thing. "Beer in one hand, X on the other. You drink more than my burned out brother." Hilarious.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger malfeitor said...

I guess they have their bases covered then, 'cause there is the obligatory stabbed in the back song as well! I think it was the second wave of straight edge that always included an anti-rape song. Does anyone actually know people that are pro-rape?

 
At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Andrew @ AVERSIONLINE said...

Fuck yeah, I had never heard this but I'm loving it. Let me know if you'd like to trade links, even though my blog might be too metal...

Thanks for an awesome post!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger john said...

Oh man what a great post. My first show ever was Violent Children and CroMags @ CBGB, I've been hooked ever since. You can get the VC 7" + demo paired up with the Abused 7" and 2 other eps on Lost & Found CD - A time We'll Remember Vol 1.

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous dave76 said...

Having played on this flexi, I can state with absolute certainty that Ray's lyrics for "BS SE" were at the early stages of his involvement with (and predate his complete embrace of) the SE lifestyle.

Some added trivia: BS SE was originally called "3/4 SE". I guess the raging hormones/girls aspects of SE were yet to be conquered by Ray at that point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home