dressed for the h bomb

some punk, some not. don't want your stuff on here? all you have to do is ask.

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Really Red


I think I've seen a few posts about Really Red, but I guess you're just going to have to sit through another one aren't you? They were a great Texas punk band from the early eighties that released 2 LPs and three 7"s (and one unreleased (?) 7", but we'll get to that). The only record currently in print is Teaching You The Fear through Empty Records. Your next option is to track down the discography CD from the Angry Neighbor label out of Houston that collects part of the Modern Needs 7", The entire Teaching LP, part of (which drives me nuts) the Rest In Pain LP, and all of the New Strings For Old Puppets EP. I believe only 1000 copies of this CD were pressed in the early 90s, but there's a seller on Ebay who always seems to have a mint copy up for sale for @$10-15 still in the shrink wrap. The Despise Moral Majority 7" is a live single with songs that appear on Teaching You The Fear so unless you're a hardcore collector type, I wouldn't pay the $$ for this. That leaves the Crowd Control/Corporate Settings 7", their first recording on their own CIA label. The story I've heard is that they pressed around 250 copies and they just kind of sat around in someone's house until they sold them out of a band member's record store. This single was made more widely available in the mid nineties (?) on the Deep In The Throat Of Texas compilation (2000 pressed). Here's the first 7"-
Crowd Control
Corporate Settings

6 Comments:

At 3:51 AM, Blogger Eric said...

What a great band. I too hated that the Angry Neighbor disc cherry picked Rest In Pain and the first 7", but it's better than nothing. And, that Deep in the Throat comp was a godsend

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger malfeitor said...

You can pick up Rest In Pain pretty easily, but what is the B side of Modern Needs? Does it appear on another record or something? Flex doesn't even list it so I'm curious what song it even is.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Sorry, I semed to have confused myself - the CD ommited the whole first 7", and the "B" side of "Modern Needs" ("White Lies"). Now that I think about it I don't know if I've ever heard "White Lies"

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger malfeitor said...

I wish they would have left off Rest In Pain and put both singles and the live one instead, although it's tough to be picky when someone reissues good, rare, and expensive to own old recordings. There's probably issues surrounding which songs are chosen that you don't get to hear about.

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Terry said...

I think "White Lies" is on "teaching you the fear;" don't know if it's the same version. i'm not sure which parts of it are on the CD, but side two of "rest in pain" isn't so great. it's got a red krayola cover and a very long sound collage thing that is very different, but not very interesting.

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger malfeitor said...

Doesn't sound like I'm missing out on much then. Thanks for the info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home