dressed for the h bomb

some punk, some not. don't want your stuff on here? all you have to do is ask.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Asexuals


The Asexuals were a mid to late eighties band from Montreal Canada that put out one 7" and 5 LPs and were one of the best live bands of the era (I think they must have rehearsed their uniform jumps out in the garage). Only two of the LPs featured original singer John Kastner who left to form the Doughboys, and who now plays in All Systems Go in addition to releasing solo work (check out what he's up to now here). I believe the last two Asexuals records are still available on Cargo but I was unable to verify the availability of 1984's Be What You Want and 1985's Contemporary World, the albums that feature John on vocals. Be What You Want is full of fast, catchy punk as is Contemporary World (although it's a bit more polished) and you should pick these up if you see them around your local used record store.

tracks removed to free up space.

6 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Eric said...

I had no idea they had 5 LP's, I have the first 2 which are pretty solid. Great post.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger malfeitor said...

Me neither until I was researching them a little bit. I figured the whole band split up after John Kastner started the Doughboys. I've never heard the other records.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger xshauncitrusx said...

the later Asexual records are no where near as good as the John Kastner releases. But if you're into late 80's/early 90's college rock ala Lemonheads, later Replacements, etc, then you should look into "Exile in Floontown".

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dish is one of my favorite albums ever, TJ & Sean are wunnerful, and Kastner, well he looked prretty silly when he jumped.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Barnesey said...

If anyone is looking for "Be What You Want To Be" on lp, hit me up. I've got a clean used copy.

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous palebluestar said...

I saw the original Asexuals in Louisville KY around 1987 and they were incredible. Still one of the best live shows I've ever seen. So much energy and excitement, Kastner was jumping and climbing on everything! the Doughboys were great as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home