dressed for the h bomb

some punk, some not. don't want your stuff on here? all you have to do is ask.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Mule


Mule (from Detroit, not the Portland band) released 2 LPs, an EP, and 2 7"s of dirty, trashy blues. Not so much a punk band as a band with punk roots, they consisted of P.W. Long from Wig and 1/2 of The Laughing Hyenas (John Brannon's post-Negative Approach project). All of their stuff is readily available through Touch and Go and Quarterstick with the exception of the 7" on Nocturnal Records. It contains Tennessee Hustler (a loose reworking of, I believe, Jimmie Rodgers' Blue Yodel #9) and a nice thick b side.
Tennessee Hustler
Black Bottom

9 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Eric said...

This is great stuff. I was listening to mule (and Tennessee Hustler in particular) on the Ipod on the way home.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger malfeitor said...

I like P.W. Long's solo stuff too, it's real similar (he has 3 records). If you don't have the I'm Hell 7 inch I can post it. Mule's Wrung is the best one though.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Eric said...

I agree - Wrung is the best. 4 tight songs, Long's best vocals. I like his solo stuff, glad to see him back in the biz after that long hiatus

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger malfeitor said...

I also have the Wig record, if you haven't heard it I could get around to ripping it. It was P.W.'s band before Mule, in my opinion not as good but worth hearing.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Dude... I've been searching for that Wig records forever. If you want to rip I would be interested in taking a listen. Get in touch

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger The Zero Boy said...

But the early Mule also had some Poison Idea members and even played one of their songs, let's not forget about that...

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous mrfike said...

Wow,nice. I've got all but their last single-the split with Shellac. It's really difficult to find anything about MULE, truly one of the greatest bands ever to exist, only because there are so many shitty bands with "%mule" as part of their band name! I don't think there was ever anyone from Poison Idea, unless that was some sort of joke? It was always Preston (PW), Jim and Kevin ,later Jake and the last drummer. Thanks

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger malfeitor said...

There was another Mule from the Portland area with some Poison Idea folks I believe not to be confused with the Detroit one.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Lude Behavior said...

Do you still have this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home